Spartan student-athletes learn lifelong skills like teamwork and overcoming challenges while competing at a higher level.
We provide a variety of course offerings giving our students the opportunity to explore their strengths and broaden their interests.
Respect, Responsibility, and Integrity are the cornerstones of being a Spartan, but it really boils down to just being good to people.
- Attendance/Bell Schedule
- Common Q & A for Students and Families
- Dress Code
- School Communication
- School Supplies List
- Technology Information
- Peachjar Flyers
Parents/guardians are to telephone the attendance office at 391-3215 to report a student's absence.
If the office has not received either a phone call or written note from a parent/guardian stating the date of absence and reason for absence, when the student returns to school, the student will be referred to the assistant principal.
Cooperation of parents/guardians in contacting the office by 10:00 a.m. on the day of a student's absence is essential.
If the parent/guardian notifies the school by phone, a written excuse will not be necessary when the student returns to school.
- Can I bring my cell phone or personal device to school with me?
- How do I report an Absence or Tardy?
- Can I use the Internet at School?
- When and where are the drop off and pickup locations?
- How can I meet with my child's teacher?
- What is the grading system?
- How can I attend Sproul?
Although we understand that cell phones are useful tools for parent/student communication, we must maintain an academic environment within the building. It is our strong recommendation that students keep their cell phones in their lockers during the school day. Cell phones should not be heard or seen in the building between 7:26 am and 2:47 pm. Students using cell phones are only permitted to use them before and after school while they are outside of the building.
Personal devices such as tablets and personal computers are allowed; however, Sproul shall not be responsible for loss, theft or destruction of electronic personal devices brought onto school property. Personal devices can use district wi-fi. Please stop in the library so that we can assist you in the log in process.
Please contact the attendance office at 719-391-3215, before 9 a.m., to report your student's absence or tardiness. If we have not heard from a parent or guardian regarding an absence, attendance calls will be made beginning at 10:00 a.m.
- If we do not hear from you regarding your student's absence or tardiness he/she/they will be marked unexcused.
- If parent/guardian contact is not made, the absence will be unexcused and the student may receive consequences per the Sproul Discipline Guidelines.
- If your student was absent due to an appointment, we highly recommend you bring a copy of the doctor's note so we can document that on your student's attendance record.
Widefield School District offers access to school computers in order to enrich student learning. Sproul is a 1:1 device school; however, students may bring their own personal devices.
To use the computers, students must adhere to the following Acceptable Use Policy:
The Internet has links to material which may not be considered appropriate for reading or viewing in a school setting. When using Watson’s computers, students must avoid these areas. They must also agree not to vandalize any computer system or software. Students must understand that the software they use while on the Internet tracks all “surfing” conducted on these computers. Students must also understand that computer access privileges may be revoked, and school disciplinary action and/or appropriate legal action may be taken if they do not use the Internet in a responsible manner. Students must stay on task and topic, which will avoid wasting valuable on-line time.
The Widefield School District desires for your student to have an information rich education. We believe this requires all students to have access to the Internet at school. Our board policy regarding the Internet has changed to reflect this philosophy. Under the new Board Policy JS-Student Use of Internet Electronic Communication, we no longer require parent permission before we will let your student access the Internet at school on a school owned device. Instead, we expect that students will use the Internet unless you as the parent/guardian explicitly and annually submit the Annual Internet Opt-Out Form (See Board Policy JS-E) and return it to your student’s school.
Student safety is a priority, so it is imperative that when dropping off and picking up your student, you follow the traffic flow by driving up Jasper and then down Sumac. You can also drop your student off on Hallam and have them walk up to the building, where we provide supervision beginning at 7:10 a.m. Parents should not drive up Sumac if at all possible; this is the route teachers take to get to the parking lot.
Students riding the bus will be dropped off and picked up at the corner of Forsythe Drive and Cassidy Street behind our building. Supervisors will be there to escort students to and from the building.
Students are required to go to their specified entry doors for admittance at 7:18 a.m.
Exceptions: Late arrivals-go to the office through the front doors
Teachers can always be reached through their district emails, through Remind or by calling 719-391-3218. (Most teachers do not have phones in their classrooms.) Please set up an appointment with the teacher if you would like to meet in person. If you need to meet with several of your student's teachers, you may contact the counseling center, 719-391-3236, for help setting that up. Please speak to the teachers directly about any grading questions or classroom issues.
Our school year is set up by quarters for all students. Report cards are posted in Infinite Campus four (4) times per year (every nine weeks). In an attempt to keep our students and parents informed, Sproul also posts mid-term/progress grades during the fourth week of each quarter.
Additionally, grades are updated every Thursday by all teachers, so that parents/guardians can log in and check current grades every Friday.
Grades can always be viewed by logging into the Infinite Campus Portal.
Sproul uses a standard grading system for scholastic performance. The following grading marks are used:
A - Superior work
B - Above Average work
C - Average work
D - Below Average work
F - Failing work
I - Incomplete work
NM – No mark
Certain work must be made up one week after the end of the grading period, or the incomplete grade will become a grade of F.
*When shopping for school clothes, please assist your student in purchasing and wearing only clothing that is
acceptable for school attire. Dress code violations may result in disciplinary action.
Acceptable attire, styles, and modes of appearance for Sproul Junior High School students are those, which
are not detrimental to the learning environment in the school and the safety and general welfare of all
students and faculty.
The school policy is as follows:
Sproul Junior High will take a conservative position regarding student dress. Student dress and grooming
will conform to responsible standards of neatness, cleanliness, modesty, and safety. All clothing shall be
worn in the manner in which it was designed to be worn.
The following is a list of attire that is NOT acceptable dress for school and school related activities:
- Any clothing, paraphernalia, grooming, jewelry, hair coloring, accessories, or body adornments that are or contain any advertisement, symbols, words, slogans, patches, or pictures that:
- refer to drugs, tobacco, alcohol, or weapons;
- are of a sexual nature;
- by virtue of color, arrangement, trademark, or other attribute denote membership in gangs which advocate drug use, violence, or disruptive behavior;
- are obscene, profane, vulgar, lewd, or legally libelous;
- threaten the safety or welfare of any person;
- promote any activity prohibited by the student code of conduct;
- otherwise disrupt the teaching-learning process
- Slippers/shoes without solid sole.
- Hats/Headgear of any kind such as bandanas, ‘do rags, nets. Hair bands worn for the purpose of containing hair may not be more than 2” in width. (Hats and headbands, worn appropriately, permitted prior to entry.)
- Inappropriately sheer, tight or low-cut clothing (e.g., midriffs, halter tops, backless clothing, tube tops, garments made of fishnet, mesh or similar material, muscle tops, etc.) that bare or expose traditionally private parts of the body including, but not limited to, the stomach, buttocks, back and breasts. Tank tops or sleeveless tops less than 3” wide at shoulder seam.
5. Outside apparel (coats, long/trench style coats, or down vests or as determined by the Administration).
6. “Sagging” pants or shorts.
7. Shorts with less than a 4” inseam. Shorts made of nylon or spandex. Dresses, skirts or other similar
clothing shorter than mid thigh. Leggings worn with a top that is shorter than mid thigh.
8. Excessively or inappropriately shredded or ripped clothing.
9. Any kind of sleep wear.
11. Unbuckled straps, long buckled straps or hanging belts.
13. Gloves or other hand coverings.
14. Billfold chains or any chains draped from clothing, etc.
Appropriate athletic clothing may be worn in physical education classes. Clothing normally worn when
participating in school-sponsored extra curricular or sports activities may be worn to school when approved
by the sponsor or coach.
Building principals, in conjunction with the school accountability committee, may develop and adopt school-
specific dress codes that are consistent with Board Policy JICA.
We use Positive Behavior Intervention Support at Sproul to reinforce good behavior. The Spartan Way (Respect, Responsibility, and Integrity) helps students become successful in school and in life.
This year we are piloting a program called "Be good to people." When you really think about it, that's what it all boils down to, being good to one another. So, that's our motto for this year. If you would like more information about this company, you can visit begoodtopeople.com.
Spartan Way Tickets
Staff members give students Spartan Way Tickets to save up and "shop" our Spartan Way Store. There are prizes range from pencils to Spartan gear and even a raffle for a Spartan jersey!
Spartan Way Cards
Staff members can also give students a personal note on Spartan Way Cards. These cards can be turned into the Student Store for a free candy bar. Want to keep your note? Just ask the Student Store worker to "void" you card once you receive your candy bar.
Spartan Pride is an academic program in which students can earn leveled cards quarterly that give them special privileges throughout that quarter. Students who reach the requirements are recognized at assemblies.
Students and Athletes of the Week
Every week, grade level teams sit down and choose a student who has been demonstrating the Spartan Way (Respect, Responsibility, and Integrity). These students are then acknowledged on KSJHS Student News and on the TV Kiosk in the cafeteria.
During the athletic seasons, coaches also choose a student who has been demonstrating the Spartan Way on the court/field/track. These students are also acknowledged on KSJHS Student News and on the TV Kiosk in the cafeteria.
We believe that students grow more when families and school staff are on the same team. Therefore, we want to make sure you stay informed.
Sproul uses two systems to communicate with parents and students: Infinite Campus Portal (IC) and Remind. Please download both apps.
- Infinite Campus - Look up your student's grades, attendance, schedule, fees, etc. Grades are posted in IC every Friday, so you check grades before the weekend. Some teachers use this system to email guardians. Please email ICHelpDesk@wsd3.org to request your parent portal access code.
- Remind - Receive text messages about important events and reminders. Please make sure your email is correct in IC; otherwise, you will not be able to connect with Sproul in Remind.
**Both apps are important so that you can be connected with us and stay in the know.
While we do not want to flood your phone with notifications, the Sproul website is another great resource to use. You can always check out our calendar to see upcoming events or subscribe to our News Posts section. There is also a page for Technology Information so that you can troubleshoot these apps.
Make sure to download Sproul Supply List to view all text including dress code before you go shopping.
General Supplies For All Students
- Pencils, pens, erasers
- Multi-colored highlighters
- 15.6 inch lap top sleeve
- Ear buds/headphones
All lockers are 11" deep X 12" wide. Full lockers are 57 1/2" tall and 8 1/2" between the top of the locker and the locker shelf. Half lockers are 36" tall with no shelf. Please keep this information in mind when purchasing a backpack. Backpacks with wheels generally do not fit into a locker.
- 7th Grade
- 1" 3-ring binder (1 subject)
- 1 Spiral notebook
- Dry erase markers
- 8th Grade
- 1" 3-ring binder with 5 dividers
- 1 Composition journal
- Dry erase markers
- 7th Grade
- 1 spiral notebook
- Dry erase markers
- 8th Grade
- 2 Spiral notebooks
- Dry erase markers
- Scientific calculator - Texas Instrument TI15 or TI-30
- College ruled spiral notebook 200 sheets
- College ruled composition notebook
Sproul uses two systems to communicate with parents and students: Infinite Campus Parent Portal (IC) and Remind. Grades are posted in IC every Friday, so you can check grades before the weekend. Please download both Infinite Campus and Remind Apps. Information for both are listed below.
- Device Checkout Agreements
- Care of Device
- Infinite Campus Help (Student Grades)
- Remind Help (Communication from Sproul)
- Schoology Help (Learning Management System)
- Student Technical Support
- Student Technology Skills
- If All Else Fails...
- In order to receive a device from Sproul, the Student Device Agreement needs to be filled out by a parent/guardian, all previous equipment must be returned, and any fees must be paid. This form must be completed every year.
- Once you have received a device from Sproul, please fill out the Student Device Receipt. You should fill this out and document the condition of your device at the time of check out. Students are not charged for cosmetic damage.
- We do allow students to put one personal sticker on the outside of the device to help them identify their own. However, personal stickers must be removed at the end of 8th grade.
PREVENT ACCIDENTS BEFORE THEY HAPPEN.
- Keep your device in a protective sleeve.
- Keep food and drink away from the device.
- Keep small children and pets away from the device.
- Keep it off the floor.
- When carrying your laptop around, keep it in the sleeve AND be sure to keep your hands on it. (Don’t pile it on top of your books. It will slide off.)
- NEVER pick up your device by the screen or press too hard on the screen. It is NOT a touch screen, so try to avoid touching the screen altogether.
USE YOUR LAPTOP IN A SAFE PLACE
- Clean your hands before use.
- Work in a clean area.
- Don’t block the computer vents.
- Do not put items on top of your device.
- Do not expose the laptop to extreme heat or cold.
KEEPING YOUR DEVICE SAFE
- Turn your device off every couple of days.
- Gently plug in and remove items from your device.
- Do not leave your device in your car.
CARE FOR YOUR POWER CORD
- Do not swing it around.
- Be careful winding it up.
- The tiny cords inside will break if treated roughly and then your charger will no longer work.
RETURNING YOUR DEVICE
- Clean it following the directions listed above.
- Return the device with your power cord.
PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOUR COMPUTERS. THEY ARE DISTRICT PROPERTY AND ARE SUBJECT TO FEES IF DAMAGED.
CLEANING YOUR DEVICE
- Once a week, spray a microfiber cloth with a mild cleaning solution. Wipe device. NEVER spray your device.
- Wipe down the screen with a damp cloth. (Glass cleaner works well.) The cloth should have very little moisture in it.
- Using chemicals on the screen will leave it streaky and may damage the screen.
- Do NOT use harsh chemicals like Goof Off, Goo Gone, or even alcohol.
INFINITE CAMPUS FOR STUDENTS
If you still need help with Infinite Campus, please contact our Infinite Campus Support Line:
- Phone: (719) 391-3011
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also use the Infinite Campus app on your phone or tablet. Search for "Widefield" as our district and use the same login as above.
INFINITE CAMPUS PARENT PORTAL
Infinite Campus Parent Portal is how you track your student's grades and attendance. We do not send home printed grade reports. Teachers update their grades every week on Thursday, so please check your student's grade every Friday.
If you need help getting into your Infinite Campus Parent Portal, please call (719) 391-3011.
SETTING UP REMIND
- How to Access Your Remind Account (English)
- How to Access Your Remind Account (Spanish)
- How to Translate Your Remind Messages
- For assistance or support: call (719) 391-3077
When parents download the app, push notifications are turned on and text and email Remind messages are automatically disabled - so they do not receive duplicates.
Parents can manage all of their notifications from their phone using the Remind app. First, make sure they are logged into the app on their phone. Second, click on the three vertical dots in the upper right screen. Next, click on Account. Then, click on the gear in the top right and choose “Notification.” There, they can choose any combination of Push notifications (for the app) email, and text. At least one needs to be turned on
WHY USE REMIND?
You are your child’s first teacher. Student success depends on the support of networks that include parents, teachers, and other key stakeholders in their school communities. To strengthen these partnerships, teachers are using Remind to bring learning home. Remind is a free, safe messaging app that keeps families up to date with what’s happening in the classroom. Teachers can send messages to an entire class, smaller groups, or individuals. These quick, simple messages can help you and your student stay informed about:
- Homework assignments
- Field trip updates
- Schedule changes
- Personalized support or feedback
- And more! Remind is safe
REMIND IS SAFE
- Personal contact information stays private.
- Phone numbers aren’t exchanged between teachers, students, and parents.
- Messages can’t be edited or deleted, so a complete message history is always available to access and download.
- Everyone has the ability to report users who violate Remind’s Community Guidelines.
- Students under the age of 13 need to enter a parent or guardian’s email address before using Remind.
- They can only receive messages from their teachers.
Sproul teachers use Schoology for many assignments, lessons, and posting work for students who have been absent. Students can log in using Clever, and their school Google account. Google log in information can be found in Infinite Campus.
If you still need assistance, please contact our Student Tech Support:
- Phone: (719) 391-3285
- Email: email@example.com
- Location: S.A. Wilson Center, 930 Leta Drive - Technician available from 7AM to 3PM M-F
- If you need technical support, computer pick-ups, or any computer help, please contact Mrs. Martinez:
- Phone: 391-3240
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Sproul Library
- 7:10 am - 3:10 pm M-F
- If you need help with Infinite Campus, please contact our Infinite Campus Support Line
- Phone: 391-3011
- Email: email@example.com