All students, including 6th graders, have the opportunity to try out for sports (except football). However, ALL students must have current physicals to play sports.
- Athletic Expectations & Parent Information
- Sports Offered
- Sports Paperwork and Safety
- Sports Schedules
- Sports Photography Information
Mission and Vision:
Sproul Jr. High School athletics programs are designed to support the needs of our student population and community by maintaining a strong sense of pride, excellence, ethical values, and overall student development. Effective Programming is executed through a balance of healthy competition, training, and educational excellence reflected in the classroom. In pursuit of this objective, we recognize the importance of academic accountability, community service, and the value of sportsmanship.
In partnership with coaches, teachers, parents, and administrators, student-athletes strive for excellence in an environment which is safe, positive, and an integral pillar of the entire school culture. Lifelong values, such as, leadership development, empathy for others, and positive social interaction are results of participation in our school programs. We are wholly committed to providing our student-athletes with a wide variety of well-organized programs, which meet their needs for physical and emotional well-being while developing constructive moral and social values in a highly competitive interscholastic arena.
Participation in athletics is a privilege, which will enable student-athletes to develop skills and experiences that will lead to lifelong growth and achievement.
- Sproul Jr. High will compete and work towards winning league championships!
- All athletes and spectators will be held to the highest of standards with regards to sportsmanship.
- Please be courteous and use ONLY positive remarks toward game officials, coaches, players, and visiting teams. Remember parents, you are a role model for your child and are also representing Sproul.
- Failure to adhere to the expectations of Sproul Jr. High will result in being removed from the game and possible denial of admission to future contests.
- Playing time is not guaranteed; if there is an issue with playing time please have your athlete address the issue with their coach.
- Playing time is earned through hard work and commitment at practice and games.
- Be supportive
- Be positive
- 24 hour rule
Positive interaction between coaches and parents is always encouraged and welcomed.
If you have a concern you may contact Mr. Marjerrison (email@example.com) the following day after the game to discuss the issue in a professional and civil manner.
- Grades are posted on Thursday afternoon by 3:00 pm.
- It is the students' responsibility to make sure they are eligible…..not the teacher.
- Eligibility runs from Monday through Monday.
- IF A STUDENT HAS AN F THEY ARE CONSIDERED INELIGIBLE FOR THE WEEK AND WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO PARTICIPATE UNTIL THE FOLLOWING WEEK. This is per our league rule which is “no pass, no play.”
- If a student receives In-School Detention, they are ineligible to participate in their next scheduled contest. They are still permitted to practice, but will not be allowed to compete until they have completed In-School Detention.
- If a student is suspended out of school, they will be removed from the team in which they are participating.
- If a student shows up two weeks throughout the seasons as being ineligible, they are removed from the team.
- Football (6th-8th)
- Girls' Volleyball (6th-8th cut sport)
- Cross Country (6th-8th)
- Wrestling (6th-8th)
- Girls' Soccer (6th-8th)
- Girls' Basketball (6th-8th cut sport)
- Boys' Basketball (6th-8th cut sport)
- Girls' Softball (6th-8th cut sport)
- Boys' Soccer (6th-8th)
- Track (6th-8th)
- Cheerleading (6th-8th cut sport)
We do NOT charge for busing!
For away games, our teams will be leaving school early in order to provide the necessary transportation to our scheduled games.
Many times, student-athletes and coaches will be leaving Sproul between 1:00-1:30 p.m. so bus drivers can drop off our team(s) and then return back to our district to take other students home after school.
We will encourage our athletes to take their backpacks with them in order to work on homework that they could potentially miss.
Within our league we do have an agreement that the host school will find a location for our teams within their building.
- Cheerleading (August - March)
- Cross Country (August - Beginning of October)
- Football (August - Beginning of October)
- Volleyball (August - Beginning of October)
- Girls' Soccer (October - November)
- Wrestling (October - November)
- Girls' Basketball (November - February)
- Boys' Basketball (February - March)
- Boys' Soccer (March - May)
- Softball (March - May)
- Track (March - May)
How To Stay Informed:
- Remind App - Text @phaylanx to the number 81010 or search for "Sproul Spartans Football"
- Facebook - "Sproul Spartan Football"
- School Calendar on the website
VOLLEYBALL RULES OF PLAY
- Officials, Scorers, Timers, Lines Persons must be ALL ADULTS
- Time for warm-up.
- 4 minutes, 4 minutes, 2 minutes
- Net height 7’ 4 1/8” (same as high school regulation)
- Home team wil provide warm-up balls, a minimum of 6
- Rally scoring shall be used.
- Played to the best 2 out of 3 games
- First 2 games are played to 25 points
- Third game is played to 15 points
- Teams must win by 2 points with a cap of 27 points
- The third game wil be capped at 20 points
- There wil not be a cap during league playoffs
- A net serve is playable
- There wil not be a libero position in league matches or tournaments
- There will be league playoffs for the top 8 varsity teams at the end of the season.
- Team plaques will be awarded for 1st and 2nd place.
- Team plaques will be awarded for 1st and 2nd place.
SOFTBALL LEAGUE RULES:
- Girls’ softball follows CHSAA fast pitch softball rules.
- There will be a Varsity team and a JV team. Both teams may be mixed 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.
- The Varsity team will play first, followed by JV. Teams are expected to play both games.
- Switching half-innings (Varsity): after 3 outs or 9 runs except in the last inning, which ends at 3 outs.
- The Varsity game will not start a new inning after 65 minutes of play (final inning to be completed with the home team at bat unless the home team has the lead).
- If the Varsity game is tied at the end of regulation, the last batter will be placed on second base to start the next inning of play.
- The JV game will not start a new inning after 65 minutes of play (final inning to be completed with the home team at bat unless the home team has the lead). Switching half-innings (JV) after 3 outs or 9 batters except in the last inning which ends at 3 outs.
- The JV game can end with a tie.
- There will be a 10-minute warm-up period between the Varsity and JV games.
- High school re-entry rule applies: If swapping positions, you can swap as often as you like. Substitutes may re-enter one time after they are taken out but they must go back in the same spot in the lineup they were in before.
- Helmets must be worn by the batter, runners, and all student base coaches.
- Rubber cleats only.
- 12” ball Optic yellow game ball
- No spectators on the field at any time.
- There will be playoffs for the top 6 Varsity teams (top 2 seeds get a first round bye) at the end of the season, 7 innings with no time limit.
- A game is considered complete after 3 innings in regular season games and tournament play if weather is a factor.
- Field Dimensions: 60 feet to bases; 43 feet to pitching runner with 16ft circle
- Physicals must be dated as of June 1, 2023.
- Dynamic Family Medicine does accept walk-ins for sports physicals all throughout the year. Cost is $20.
There are a total of 7 pages that need to be turned in. Completed forms may be scanned and emailed to our Athletic Director, Fred Marjerrison at MarjerrisonF@wsd3.org.
All Sproul coaches have completed concussion training and are CPR/First Aid certified.
All teams have closed practices to spectators. Please contact the coaches if you'd like to observe.
Sports Photography Information
Sproul uses Randall Fishburn Professional Photography for all Athletics' Teams and Individual pictures.
|Randall Fishburn, Jr.
Randall, Jr. Photography - Fishburn Luxury Media, LLC.